Posted to rec.food.cooking
stark stark is offline

Default Tip for freezing sauerkraut.

On Jan 30, 7:35 am, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "stark" > wrote in message
>
> > Just curious but how long did it take for your kraut to go bad? Did
> > it develop visibles or an off-taste? Or maybe an off-off-taste since
> > kraut starts out kinda off.

> Actually, I don't know if it did go bad, but the time it was left in the
> refrigerator for an amount of time, and the fact that these 2-3 brands I
> bought were not the usually heavily salted sauerkraut, time in the
> refrigerator was my guide to dumping it. (And I wasn't quite up to tasting
> it at that point ;-)))
>
> Wish I could be of more help -- I couldn't even help myself in this
> instance.

No problem. But you did have me worried. I keep opened Kraut in the
fridge pretty much all the time. I get cravings for it. Busch,
Claussen, Boar's Head, Kroger store brand. Might be a month, maybe
longer. But it still tastes like Kraut and I've had no adverse
reactions. 'Cept maybe bad breath for a while.