Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38 Goomba38 is offline

Default But I want DENSE dumplins!

isw wrote:

> My grandmother (and so I) make dumplings just like pie crust, except the
> liquid is 50-50 buttermilk and hot broth (Crisco and flour, no
> leavening, no eggs). Flour the counter, roll out about 1/4" thick, cut
> in strips about 1" wide, and tear off pieces into the boiling broth,
> stretching them a bit as you go.

Yeah, rolled and cut thick strips is how a neighbor taught me to make
it, but I've done the drop dumplings at times too. I just don't make it
often enough. She used to make it frequently for large Wednesday night
dinners at the church and she could feed a mess of folks cheap with
chicken and dumplings. I used to love helping her. She could cook it all
at home, often not starting it until the afternoon of the meal, and haul
it over to her church to finish it off. I learned a lot from that woman.
Goomba