Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default But I want DENSE dumplins!

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, "Nexis" >
> wrote:
>
> > "levelwave" > wrote in message
> > > Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add

> > Absolutely. For dumplin's with bite, you want nothing more than eggs,
> > flour, s&p. And you don't even have to have the s&p! Once in a
> > while, particularly if I just made stock, I'll add a bit of chicken
> > fat. Really that is all I use, and it's the way we like them...I
> > never could stand those wussy fluff balls.

> > kimberly

> What differentiates your dumplings from egg noodles, kimberly?
> Thickness? Width? Color me Curious.

My grandmother (and so I) make dumplings just like pie crust, except the
liquid is 50-50 buttermilk and hot broth (Crisco and flour, no
leavening, no eggs). Flour the counter, roll out about 1/4" thick, cut
in strips about 1" wide, and tear off pieces into the boiling broth,
stretching them a bit as you go.

You can either cook them "dry" so they can be piled on a plate, or "wet"
which is like a really thick chicken soup (that's the way I like it).

Now I'm hungry.

Isaac