Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Septic System Problems From Using Sanitizing Agents & Cleansers

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:27:50 -0600, (Cathy N)
wrote:

>About this, what about flushing a couple of packets of active yeast?
>That's what I do. It seems to work very well.
>
>Cathy N
>(from TX)

Cathy

Unfortunately, active yeast IS one of the things that can do damage to
a septic system.

This is addressed specifically at:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/septadds.htm#septadds1
where it states:
'Yeast can cause frothing and excessive activity in the septic tank,
preventing normal settling of solids and coagulation of greases. This
agitation forces solid waste into the drainfield and by clogging the
soil, shortens its life.'

You want to avoid damaging the drainfield because it is a huge expense
to repair or replace.

Ross.