Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default Q: Convection vs. Regular Baking

Nancy2 > wrote in
:

> On Jan 21, 6:45*pm, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:11:23 GMT, (Arthur
>>
>> Shapiro) wrote:
>>
>> >Can anyone share some words of wisdom about choosing convection vs.
>> >norma

> l? *
>> >Thanks!

>> Convect is one of those features I can live happily without. *I use
>> it for roasting chicken, because it browns the skin beautifully. *I
>> know some people think convect is wonderful for cookies. *I'm not so
>> sure. I'd certainly never use it for pizza. *I did it once and that
>> was the last time.
>>
>> --
>> See return address to reply by email
>> remove the smiley face first

> I use the convection part of my oven for cookies, heating prepared
> frozen foods like mini tacos, quesadillas, chicken strips, French
> fries, etc.
>
> According to my manual, what fares best with convection is anything in
> a flat, shallow pan, so that's what I use it for. I generally don't
> decrease the temp by 25 degrees, as it suggests - more like 10 or 15
> degrees, and for my chocolate chip cookies, I bake at 325 just like I
> do in the regular-heat oven. I really like the convection feature.
>
> N.

The concept in a convection oven is to cook using the hot fan driven air.
It works only if that fan driven air can reach the food. Think cooking
with the winds of hell and place all food items in a manor in which the
moving air has best access to those winds. So cook on raised platforms or
grills with pans under to catch any drippings.

If you use a high walled roasting pan then the meat is shielded from the
full effect of the convection oven and won't do as well.

Spatchcocked chicken comes out especially well in a convection oven.
Roast beef and lamb taste great as well. I don't roast much pork so I
have no oppinion on how it roasts pork roasts.

Baked goods come out good too.

There is a learning curve and reducing temperatures won't help you to
learn your new ovens capabilities in the long run. Better to keep
temperatures where they were and use a digital thermometer and keep a
close eye on stuff for the first while. As Judy G said this ain't Kanas,
Toto.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore