Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Shen[_2_] Shen[_2_] is offline

Default Wu Yi Yan Cha Bing - A Lush Oolong! And The Smoothest Nai Xiang(milk) Oolong!

On Jan 18, 2:48*pm, DogMa > wrote:
> Shen's writing inspired me to try some of the same from Teaspring.
>
> Shen wrote:
> > ... a brand new experience for me - an Oolong Wu Yi Cha Bing. ...
> > This wonder of a tea held up strongly to multiple infusions becoming
> > toastier, more chocolate and sweeter. The tea is a quite a bargain
> > $9.90 and I'm assuming it will last for quite a while.

> Agreed on all counts. Seems like a good price per ounce/gram for a
> pretty good tea. Wonder if this way of packing makes it cheaper at the
> producer end? I bought a few, intending to give them away if they were
> good. Turned out they're very good, so I might keep most of them to test
> ageability with and without occasional re-roasting. (Paper package won't
> mind, I'm sure.)
>
> This appears and tastes like a very highly fermented oolong, but not too
> highly roasted - just what I've been seeking for long-term storage
> experiments. Will get back to you all around 2018.
>
> It was interesting to observe a "taste expectation" when brewing this
> cake. It looks so much like a big-leaf shu pu mini-bing that it took a
> moment extra for the distinctive Wuyi taste to arrive on first sip.
>
> > Also, in this box, Nai Xiang Oolong. This one is probably with
> > smoothest of the "milk" oolongs I've tastes and the flavour, although
> > *very delicate, more pristine and clear in the "milky/silky" tones.

> I agree. In fact, I believe it's the best milk oolong I've tried yet.
> I've even brewed it under sloppy/abusive conditions, and always got good
> results even though it's very green by my standards.
>
> I also tried Teaspring's Bai Ji Guan, which is also one of the very best
> I've tried. Were I not committed to Pu-erh in my oral drip these days,
> this could be the every-sunday tipple while listening to Midnight Special.
>
> -DM

So glad you gave that oolong a try!
Now you've got me - I'll have to taste the Bai Ji Guan, although it's
still a little difficult to take me away from Scott's (YS)Yunnan
Shucks! I just sent off an order to Teaspring. Maybe I'll catch it in
time.
To be honest, I've tried this tea from several vendors, over the last
three years, and not found one to knock my socks off, considering it
is touted as "rare".
Can you tell us why you preferred this one?
Shen