Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
DogMa DogMa is offline

Default Wu Yi Yan Cha Bing - A Lush Oolong! And The Smoothest Nai Xiang(milk) Oolong!

Shen's writing inspired me to try some of the same from Teaspring.

Shen wrote:
> ... a brand new experience for me - an Oolong Wu Yi Cha Bing. ...
> This wonder of a tea held up strongly to multiple infusions becoming
> toastier, more chocolate and sweeter. The tea is a quite a bargain
> $9.90 and I'm assuming it will last for quite a while.

Agreed on all counts. Seems like a good price per ounce/gram for a
pretty good tea. Wonder if this way of packing makes it cheaper at the
producer end? I bought a few, intending to give them away if they were
good. Turned out they're very good, so I might keep most of them to test
ageability with and without occasional re-roasting. (Paper package won't
mind, I'm sure.)

This appears and tastes like a very highly fermented oolong, but not too
highly roasted - just what I've been seeking for long-term storage
experiments. Will get back to you all around 2018.

It was interesting to observe a "taste expectation" when brewing this
cake. It looks so much like a big-leaf shu pu mini-bing that it took a
moment extra for the distinctive Wuyi taste to arrive on first sip.

> Also, in this box, Nai Xiang Oolong. This one is probably with
> smoothest of the "milk" oolongs I've tastes and the flavour, although
> very delicate, more pristine and clear in the "milky/silky" tones.

I agree. In fact, I believe it's the best milk oolong I've tried yet.
I've even brewed it under sloppy/abusive conditions, and always got good
results even though it's very green by my standards.

I also tried Teaspring's Bai Ji Guan, which is also one of the very best
I've tried. Were I not committed to Pu-erh in my oral drip these days,
this could be the every-sunday tipple while listening to Midnight Special.

-DM