Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default How to store chillies for long time

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:13:20 -0600, "Anny Middon"
> wrote:

>"George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>>

>> I freeze lots of chiles every year Anny. For use in cooking the texture
>> doesn't change enough to affect the taste IMHO. Particularly the sweet
>> chiles. YMMV
>>

>Good to know, George. Just curious - does the color change?
>
>Hmm. This gets me thinking -- there are some foods that both freeze and can
>well, but you never (or rarely) see them frozen. Tomatoes are one example,
>and chile peppers are another. (Interestingly, I've seen bell peppers
>frozen, but never canned.) Why is this? Why hasn't Birdseye come out with
>frozen chopped tomatoes?

Depends on what the products are used for and your expectation for
their color and texture. Frozen tomatoes have no better texture than
canned ones. Lots of people who grow tomatoes freeze them because
they do not want to get involved in the expense and labor of canning.
They can wash the tomato and put it in a freezer bag. When it thaws
the skin slips right off.

I think that chopped peppers would be mush if they were canned. They
do keep some texture when frozen. I do freeze hot peppers and they
keep their color and shape. I imagine that there is not enough of a
market for the frozen one, at least in may area. Pimentos are canned
and their texture is pretty soft but then they do not get any
additional cooking.

--
Susan N.