Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline

Default How to store chillies for long time

"girdhar" > wrote in message

> Hi,
> Indeed I have been facing this problem for a long time.Whenever I tried
> to save the red chilies for long time I find that its colour fades and
> also lack the good taste.

How are you storing them?

My experience with chiles is that they store for a while (a week or so) just
fine in the refrigerator, then they start to go bad. I don't have a vacuum
sealer, so I don't know if that would help with refrigerator storage.

The classic way to store chiles long-term is to dry them. Many recipes call
for dried chiles, but they aren't a substitute for fresh chiles. (I've
often thought that the reason why Mexicans have different names for a chile
depending on whether it is fresh or dried is a reflection of the fact that
they are really two different products.)

Chiles don't freeze well -- freezing changes the texture considerably. I've
never tried this, so I can't comment on changes to the flavor.

Chiles pickle very well, but of course the pickling process changes the
color and the flavor. Chiles can well (pressure can), too, but again there
are changes to the color and flavor.

Anny