Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] is offline

Default Grocery Shopping c. 1910...

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:52:29 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> fired up random neurons and
synapses to opine:

>Neumann Grocery in Detroit, Michigan:
>
>http://www.shorpy.com/node/2339

I have a photo of my maternal grandfather's "General Merchandise"
store at Rodeo, NM ca. 1900 with a sign above the door that says,
"General Merchandise C.W. Hopkins & Co." I also have one of my
mother's maternal great-grandfather's store in NM in a town that used
to be called Apache, ca. 1890. "J.W. Marken Mercantile." Both sides
of the maternal line homesteaded when NM was still a territory.

OB: My grandmother's friend, Norma Watson's, buttermilk biscuit
recipe:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Buttermilk Biscuits

breads

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
5 1/3 tablespoons butter
buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450° F. Combine first four ingredients. Work chilled
butter nto dough with pastry blender. Add buttermilk to make a soft
dough. Put on floured work surface and knead slightly. Pat out to
about 1/2" and cut rounds. Bake 15 minutes or until golden.

Contributor: Norma Watson

Yield: 12 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines