Posted to rec.food.cooking
Little Malice[_4_] Little Malice[_4_] is offline

Default Grocery Shopping c. 1910...

One time on Usenet, Goomba38 > said:
> Little Malice wrote:
>
> >> I loved the picture of that Neumann Grocery, but was quite surprised by
> >> the variety of fruits and veg available in Detroit way back then! Did
> >> you notice all the pineapples, artichokes, star fruit, bananas? It seems
> >> transport of produce from far distances was well established and the
> >> fruit all looked in fabulous condition.

> > And asparagus! Not only the fresh stuff, but lots of canned (ugh). The
> > prices seemed a bit high for 1910 though or am I off base on that..?
> >

> <looking around wondering who she's asking?>
> Like *I* would know? It was wayyyyyyyyyyy before MY time! Hrrrumph!!
> LOL LOL LOL

Heh! No, no, I was thinking someone else might have a better grasp of
U.S. history than I do. :-)

> But yeah, Asparagus seemed to be very big. The fresh stalks were fat,
> weren't they??

Defininately -- those would be so good roasted! Last March we
had roasted asparagus wrapped in bacon at Disneyland; it was
wonderful...

--
Jani in WA