Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

"Giusi" > wrote in
:

> "Christine Dabney" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
>> problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
>> even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all of
>> us...
>> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
>> Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
>> Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
>> but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
>> something good I love to eat?
>>
>> Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..
>>
>> Christine

> I will cook almost anything, but forgive myself for the things I don't
> want to eat. I don't mind people not eating something I have made.
> One of my closest friends is a Bhuddist and I happily alter menus to
> be sure he eats well.
>
> What I don't deal with is neuoses like food not touching etc. It just
> can't be my problem. I make it, arrange it, garnish it and if someone
> blanches because there was a cucumber rose touching his fish, it ain't
> my problem. My possibly future SIL has been told he can't eat at my
> house (not by me) because I do not allow retching at the table because
> it isn't Taco Bell.

I like to eat my food 1 thing at a time. Usually it is the meat first.
Then the veggie and lastly the potato or rice. I don't understand these
folks who put a little of everything on their plate on a fork at the same
time and eat it. If I have a sidedish of mixed veggies I eat the sidedish
of mixed veggies, I just like to eat the food in a certain order. A bowl
full of stew or a noodle and meat dish doesn't cause me to get upset or
run screaming from the table. My food can be any colour as long as the
colour is appealing to me. An example day glow green mashed potatoes
wouldn't appeal to me or purple beef gravy.

Most of my life I lived in the same city so I haven't been exposed to
many changes in food so sometimes it takes me a while to get my mind
around to trying new things.

I believe culture plays big parts in what you will or won't eat. If all
you were used to is meat and potatoe dishes it can take a while to except
fish and rice dishes.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore