Posted to rec.food.cooking
ChattyCathy ChattyCathy is offline

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
> problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
> even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all of
> us...
>
> I am curious about attitudes in all of this. I see some that say, no I
> won't eat this and I won't eat that, but I will eat this and I love
> it.. Some won't eat anything green (you know who you are!!) and some
> won't eat raw veggies or salads.. Some won't eat turkey in any way
> shape or form....Some won't eat chocolate that comes anywhere near
> fruit....
>
> And some just have too much trouble with certain foods..mostly
> allergies. Sometimes phobias too.
>
> So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.
>
> I see some with the above limitations, whether they are physical or
> whatever, say..I can't eat this..and constantly bemoan that they can't
> or won't eat such and such...I see them as not trying to find choices
> that they can love..Everything makes them sick or things just repulse
> them... And they never let others forget it. And I see it as they let
> fear rule their food choices, so that they never try anything new...
> They won't eat this...they won't eat that..even if it tastes great and
> it is something that they can eat.
>
> And I see others...whom I admire greatly, who say...No, I can't eat
> such and such, or I won't eat this..but this is what I love and I
> can/will eat...and I will enjoy eating it..and I will enjoy the
> challenge of adapting.. and I will have a great time with it. I will
> forget what I can't have, and love what I can have. And I will make
> the best of it.
>
> I must admit I am predjudiced... I am not a picky eater, nor do I have
> food intolerances..and I am pretty willing to try almost everything.
> Even raw oysters if someone gives me enough wine before hand...a LOT
> of wine!!...
>
> I do have a weight problem, and I find I do best if I limit the carb
> intake. But even within those guidelines, and within my budgetary
> guidelines, I can usually find a lot of things to love. I take it as
> a challenge to find things to fit what I love and can eat....
>
> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
> Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
> Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
> but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
> something good I love to eat?
>
> Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..

There are a few things I can't eat (I seem to have developed a wheat
intolerance as I've got older), but it hasn't really stopped me "eating
what I like"; there are plenty of other foods out there that I can eat,
so I don't miss white bread and pizza (too much). Of course, there are
also a few things I don't like e.g. cabbage <veg> but I still wouldn't
call myself a 'picky eater'.

I've tried some 'weird' foods in my lifetime too; one example is "mopane
worms". They looked rather ugly but tasted pretty good Warthog chops
are much better than pork, IMHO and of course I love ostrich meat too.
I love all kinds of seafood and shellfish, I eat beef, chicken (and
other poultry) and pork. Lamb is good too. I love most vegetables (did I
already mention how much I hate cabbage?)... Oh, and don't forget
venison (as in deer-type meat).

So. I've come to the conclusion that experimenting with recipes and
trying out different foods is one of life's little pleasures - for me
at least...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck