Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney Christine Dabney is offline

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

Hello folks,

I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all of
us...

I am curious about attitudes in all of this. I see some that say, no I
won't eat this and I won't eat that, but I will eat this and I love
it.. Some won't eat anything green (you know who you are!!) and some
won't eat raw veggies or salads.. Some won't eat turkey in any way
shape or form....Some won't eat chocolate that comes anywhere near
fruit....

And some just have too much trouble with certain foods..mostly
allergies. Sometimes phobias too.

So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

I see some with the above limitations, whether they are physical or
whatever, say..I can't eat this..and constantly bemoan that they can't
or won't eat such and such...I see them as not trying to find choices
that they can love..Everything makes them sick or things just repulse
them... And they never let others forget it. And I see it as they let
fear rule their food choices, so that they never try anything new...
They won't eat this...they won't eat that..even if it tastes great and
it is something that they can eat.

And I see others...whom I admire greatly, who say...No, I can't eat
such and such, or I won't eat this..but this is what I love and I
can/will eat...and I will enjoy eating it..and I will enjoy the
challenge of adapting.. and I will have a great time with it. I will
forget what I can't have, and love what I can have. And I will make
the best of it.

I must admit I am predjudiced... I am not a picky eater, nor do I have
food intolerances..and I am pretty willing to try almost everything.
Even raw oysters if someone gives me enough wine before hand...a LOT
of wine!!...

I do have a weight problem, and I find I do best if I limit the carb
intake. But even within those guidelines, and within my budgetary
guidelines, I can usually find a lot of things to love. I take it as
a challenge to find things to fit what I love and can eat....

So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
something good I love to eat?

Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..

Christine