Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Bitter Coleslaw :(

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>

>> "PVC" > wrote in message
>> .
>> .. On Jan 9, 11:02 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>>
>>> Could it be the Splenda?

>> Gee, do ya think?
>>
>> It doesn't normally taste bitter to me. I made cranberry salad with
>> it and it was fine.
>>

> The reason people cut splenda with sugar is to reduce sweetness as some
> find splenda too sweet.
>
> What kind of cabbage was used? I find savoy cabbages bitter.

I don't know the name. It was just the typical round, light green one.
Although I noticed only the very outer leaves were green and the inside was
more of a yellowish white.

> When I make coleslaw I use regular cabbage and red cabbage (mostly for
> colour) carrots, onion and green pepper. I use mayo thinned with vinegar
> (regular white) some splenda (1 coffee pkg) and celery seeds as a
> dressing...Maybe you can find eggless mayo?.

The only eggless mayo is made with soy and we have to avoid that too.

> Try fresh pickled cuccumber and onions ... slices of cukes and white
> onion sitting in a vinegar, splenda and some crushed red pepper bath all
> to taste. Let it sit at least a half hour before eating to develop
> flavour. That should prove whether it was the splenda, or not.

Ugh. I don't think I could stomach that. My mom used to make cucumbers in
vinegar. She and my brother liked them but I couldn't stand them. Not a
big fan of cukes.

Thanks!