Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Bitter Coleslaw :(

Daughter has loved coleslaw since she was a baby. Her favorite version is
one that we get at a Mexican restaurant that appears to be just cabbage and
carrots with a vinegar dressing. It's possible there are onions but that
they are blending in, much as they did with the recipe I just tried.

We have food allergies so we can't have dairy or eggs. Because of the
allergies, this is the only type of coleslaw we can eat. I also have
diabetes so prefer not to use sugar or at least not a lot.

I tried one recipe at Christmas a few years ago and it was inedible because
it was so bitter. My mom surmised that my celery seeds were rancid. I was
not so sure. Have tried a few recipes since and they were just okay.
Nobody had seconds or ate the leftovers.

So tonight I tried this recipe:

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/...cole-slaw.html

I didn't have the green pepper so I left that out. Didn't have the celery
seed so left that out too but used 1/2 celery salt in place of the sea salt
I would have used. I subbed in Splenda for the sugar. And since it didn't
specify the type of vinegar I used white wine. Perhaps I should have used
rice vinegar? I've seen other similar recipes that called for rice vinegar.

At any rate, my finished dish looked yummy and it smelled yummy. But it
didn't taste so yummy. Once again, it was very bitter. It didn't taste so
bad as the first bite went in, but after chewing it, it left a nasty bitter
aftertaste. In fact I can still taste it now, even though I had a bite of
the tomato salad I made which fortunately did turn out well.

Could it be the Splenda? I don't normally find that Splenda has a bitter
aftertaste. Would it work better to use 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 sugar?

Could it be the cabbage? That was my thought. I didn't taste the cabbage
this time but I did the last time it happened. I had a piece from the
center of the cabbage and that was bitter so I didn't use the center. I
just assumed that the center was not good but the more outer leaves were. I
didn't use the very outer leaves because they tend to be tough and on this
particular cabbage they appeared to have some mildew.

I sure would love to make some slaw that daughter will eat. Thanks!