Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester Puester is offline

Default 'Soup Kitchen' ideas

cshenk wrote:
> We've gotten friendly with the church our huge monster commercial chest
> freezer went to.
>
> On Sunday and holidays, they have a big free potluck for local homeless and
> others who are short on funds.

> Any other ideas? They will be most welcome!

Your favorite chili served over rice with lots of grated cheese.

A baked potato bar, with various toppings like broccoli in a cheese
sauce or chili.

Stew, any kind; veg-beef-barley soup

Curried chicken and rice

Hot dogs and baked beans with red cabbage as a side.

Any kind of "hot dish", a la Barb Schaller. She has posted about
feeding the guests at their local Ronald McDonald House.

Lasagna

Macaroni and cheese with spicy hamburger or bits of ham

Roast turkey

Regarding cost, you may be able to get a local grocery store to sponsor
an occasional meal or at least sell you meat at cost.

gloria p