Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default 'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"chefhelen" wrote

> Sometimes here we get chicken legs for $.29/lb. With these you can make a
> dynamite chicken soup, baked chicken with rice and a veg, chicken pot pie,
> chicken casseroles, etc.

Absolutely! I havent seen it that cheap yet since getting back stateside,
but we have seen .49lb a time or so.

> Another good idea, to me, is split pea soup. Bits of ham make it nice
> and/or sliced sausage added in at the end.

Yes! A definate! I've even done that with the cheap Dak canned hams with
decent success and could afford that well enough.

> Cabbage is another good veg either for braising and serving with hot
> dogs/other meat or making soup with. It makes a ton and can usually be
> found at about $.39/lb.

Yes, with a little olive oil and sesame oil and onions then sliver carrots
over it, add water and wilt in a pan, it's good warm or cold.

> Quiche and eggy things such as that are also good when filled with cheaper
> ingredients and made in to casseroles.

Humm, eggs are now pricey here. Can run 3$ a carton of 12 now.

> I sometimes run across bananas and other fruits at a good price and I'm
> sure that those would be welcomed also. I'm sure if these folks are
> hurting for money that they think fresh fruit and veg are prohibitively
> priced.

Yup! The one time I made baked apples, they disappeared really fast.