Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default 'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Janet" wrote.

>> little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd

> I do a monthly volunteer stint at the soup kitchen in the nearby city,
> where we feed about 250 per night. Our night is almost always tuna noodle

Wow! Now, this operation is much smaller. Only Sunday afternoon/early
evening.

> casserole, salad, and vegetable (usually canned green beans or something
> equally revolting, but occasionally we get enough of a fresh vegetable to
> do that) on the side, plus bread, beverages, and dessert. We don't get to
> set

Humm, wee bit fancier here. But then, we are feeding a mere 100 at high
season.

> the menu, although we can rummage around and find better ingredients to
> fix it up a bit. (I've taken to bringing pounds of butter from home,
> because

Hehe I can see that one!

> usually there's just margarine.) I don't know what your clientele is like,
> but our is heavy on people who have been living rough for a long time, and
> probably have mental health issues and have been self-medicating for
> decades with alcohol or drugs. Tastes are not sophisticated, and teeth
> tend to be in

Mostly newly homeless (and seldom stay that way) or just really broke at the
end of the month. Many women with kids and 'dad' left, still in an
apartment but with little to no income. It's not a well known place and
frankly, isnt able to carry the load of being known better.

> poor shape. Most of the things you suggest, although they sound good to
> me, would not go over well with our crowd. It can be disappointing if you
> really like to cook. You might want to start out with something pretty
> safe, and

Heheh well, it's ok. I dont expect rave reviews. Just warm tummies.

The dashi soup is a replacement for a well recieved 'fish soup' they used to
have, but the gentleman who made it, died about 8 months ago. I live on the
coast so fish based soups are common here.

> then see what goes over well and gradually become more venturesome.
> There's even something to be said for tuna noodle casserole, when it's
> well made! <G>

Yup! I can add that to my list!

I see this week they have:
2 tuna noodle cassaroles
2 chile pots with beans
3 various chicken stew/soups
3 bean pots (one is mine)
1 meatloaf
1 pork shoulder (pulled pork I am sure)
Fried chicken
(other stuff not going to type in but you get the idea).

Lots of veggies in the bunch not listed.