Posted to rec.food.baking
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Best by date on rye flour

Dave Bell ) writes:

>> But, I get the impression they also weren't as fussy. "A bit of mold on
>> that cheese? No problem, we'll eat around it. We can't afford to waste it."

> Eat around it? Cheese *is* mold, or mold is cheese.

Some is, some isn't.

There was a period when I made tofu for a couple of years (and stopped because
for the return it was quite a bit of work). I suddenly understood all that
bit about "curds and whey" in reference to cheese, since the process
is similar with tofu. No mold involved, there is a coagulant to solidify
things. Obviously some cheeses do involve mold, but not all.

And oddly, you can have mold growing on items that do involve mold. I
better throw out that yogurt, because while the process of making yogurt
involves mold, that bit sitting at the back of the refrigerator for too
many weeks has some other unwanted kind of mold on it.

Michael