Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Septic System Problems From Using Sanitizing Agents & Cleansers

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 21:30:13 -0600, "JB" > wrote:

>I live in a rural area and my home has a septic system. I'm familiar with
>these systems as I've lived in homes serviced by one for over 30 years.
>Rarely have I had a problem until recently. I started making wine from kits
>last year. I've made 5 kits, 6 gallons each, since August. I'm aware that
>cleanliness is very important so I clean my bottles, fermentation tanks,
>other equipment, etc. prior to being used. I'm wondering if all of this
>cleaner has killed the bacteria in my septic tank and contributed to my
>problem. My question to the group: Has anyone experienced any problems
>similar to this?
>
>I'd like to avoid having to dig up and replace my system when the solution
>might be as simple as not pouring so much cleanser down the drain and/or
>adding a bacterial starter to my system.
>
>TIA
>
>John

Hello John,

How familiar are you with the operation of a septic system?
If your system is sized correctly there should be no problem adding
reasonable amounts of sanitizing chemicals.
One of the biggest problems with septic systems is improper
maintenance. How often do you have your septic tank pumped? Pumping
frequency depends on the size of the tank and the number of people in
the household, and can be as often as every year. Many people wait
until there is a problem before having the tank pumped. By that time
there is likely to be clogging in the weeping tile bed which can be
very expensive to remedy.
I've lived in a home serviced by a septic system for close to 70
years. In our current home, we've been on the same septic system for
the last 27 years and, with regular pumping, have experienced no
problems.
I've slowed down a bit in my winemaking over the past few years but,
in 2006 I made 29 six gallon batches with no septic system problems.
As far as adding a bacterial or enzyme starter/rejuvenator they are,
according to the experts, at best ineffective and a waste of money and
even worse, can be extremely damaging to the system and/or the
environment.

Good luck with your system. I hope it's a simple cure.
You may want to check out http://www.inspect-ny.com/septbook.htm

Ross.