Posted to rec.food.cooking
Miche[_3_] Miche[_3_] is offline

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Miche wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Arri London >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Miche wrote:

> <snip>
> > >
> > > That's what I said after my mother 'confessed' last week LOL. He'd
> > > already had to leave his homeland to move to the Netherlands. So what's
> > > wrong with foreign after that

> > Well quite.

> LOL. The man had lived in practically every country in Western Europe in
> any case.
> >
> > NZ in the '50s would have been quite different, though -- nobody here
> > knew how to make coffee.

> This would have been after that but the coffee certainly would have been
> an issue in our family!

If coffee was drunk at all in NZ at the time (most people drank tea;
coffee was seen as "a bit swanky" and associated with Americans), it was
instant. And weak.

> The Dutch (and most other Europeans except the UKers) prefer the coffee
> to be strong! Did you ever get into using koffiemelk?

No, never. I'll give it a go when I see some, though.

> <snip>
> > >
> > > Common enough in many cultures. So what do you make pastry with, if you
> > > make pastry that is?

> > Spelt flour, mostly. Behaves and tastes almost identical to wheat but
> > requires less moisture.

> Will get some and see how it works. Don't think it's that expensive
> around here.
>

> > [Appelflappen]
> > > Try this, but I have no idea what you can use instead of wheat flour.
> > > Rice flour won't do it; BTDT and it wasn't pretty...

I'll use spelt; I'm sure it will work fine.

> > > Appelflappen

> <snip recipe>
> > > Eet smakelijk!

> > Oooh fabulous. Thank you!
> >
> > Miche

> My pleasure as always. My collection of Dutch cookbooks is mostly about
> traditional/regional recipes. Sorry I didn't buy more last time I was
> there. Any time you want a recipe just give a shout.

Shall do. Thank you!

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases