Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Miche wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Miche wrote:

> > > The gov't wanted immigrants after WWII so encouraged the Dutch to come
> > > as they were the "right sort" *cough*white*cough*

> > LOL! Isn't it always like that. Plus we are so very good at flood
> > control (since the 50s at any rate...) Turns out that my family had the
> > option of going to NZ or Oz, but apparently my father thought that was
> > too 'foreign' for him. Shame; could have had all that great lamb all
> > those years.

> Dang! He should've come.

That's what I said after my mother 'confessed' last week LOL. He'd
already had to leave his homeland to move to the Netherlands. So what's
wrong with foreign after that

> > > Don't think I've ever had 'em.

> > Related to UK sausage rolls, but with better sausage and better pastry.
> > Of course with a wheat sensitivity won't do you much good.

> Well not now but if I'd known about them when I was younger I'd probably
> have liked them. My family wasn't big into "foreign muck" though, until
> Dad started experimenting with Chinese food when I was a teenager.

Common enough in many cultures. So what do you make pastry with, if you
make pastry that is?

> > > I did like my cousins' Oma's appelflappen, though. I ought to see if
> > > Tante Betty has the recipe.
> > >

> > If she doesn't, we should have one or two recipes.

> Ooo!
>
> They were a special treat, I only ate them on New Year's Day when Oma
> and Opa and Tante Betty (Bettina) and the cousins came out to our big
> family picnic.
>
> Miche

Can be eaten any time of the year. Really nice when the apples are
freshly harvested though.

Try this, but I have no idea what you can use instead of wheat flour.
Rice flour won't do it; BTDT and it wasn't pretty...

Appelflappen
(from 'Het Winter Koek Book') my translation

4 large apples
lemon juice
125 g flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2 dl milk
oil for frying/baking
icing/confectioner's sugar (or anything else you like on you pancakes)

Peel and core the apples. Slice about 1 cm thick. Sprinkle with lemon
juice to prevent discolouration.

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the milk
gradually, stirring to form a smooth batter. Heat the oil in a suitable
frying pan. Add the sliced apples to the batter and fry/bake until the
pancakes are brown and done.

Eet smakelijk!