Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Potato Soup and a Salad (pics at alt.binaries.food)

Mixed green salad (bagged lettuces ‹ shoot me) and potato soup. Cukes,
carrots, red onion, and tomatoes were added to the lettuce mix. It was
dressed with some olive oil, verjus, and red wine vinegar.

When locally grown leeks are plentiful in the late summer and fall, I
make a sort of soup base with them, using chicken broth for some of the
liquid. I freeze 2-cup packages with instructions to add a couple diced
potatoes and milk, heating through.

That's almost what I did. :-) I peeled and diced four spuds and
cooked them until tender. I mashed them with a potato mashed and added
a package of the frozen soup base and some chicken broth. I took the
stick blender to it to puree it some, added about 1-1/2 cups diced
leftover ham (OHMIGOD!!! It's been in the fridge for a WEEK! We're
gonna DIE!), added some evaporated milk (didn't have any half and half
in house), heated through and served it up. Garnished with a few
sprinkles of Penzeys Sunny Paris seasoning and some black pepper. It
was served hot and eaten hot.

Dayam! It was tasty. I, uh, hard more than one bowl of it. ALL
RIGHT!!! So I finished it off. Rob had a couple bowls, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to