Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

On Fri 28 Dec 2007 08:43:33a, Arri London told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Wed 26 Dec 2007 06:40:06p, Arri London told us...

>> > Two completely different flavours for me. One wouldn't be a substitute
>> > for the other.

>> I think it depends on what the use is. I agree that the flavors are
>> different, but also think there's enough similarity that subbing

wouldn't
>> be a disaster in some dishes.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> True enough. We always have both in the house so subbing is never an
> issue. Rather like subbing anise seeds for fennel seeds; lots of people
> do that but the two tastes are totally different to me.

Yep, you're right, and I usually have all of those in the house. There
have been a few times when I've run out of something and didn't know it.
Subbing was the only alternative. Now, if I were making Springerle, I
would definitely NOT substitute fennel seed for anise seed. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 12(XII)/28(XXVIII)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
3dys 11hrs 25mins
I've been on a diet for two weeks and
all I've lost is two weeks. --Totie Fields