Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

On Thu 27 Dec 2007 04:03:41p, Michael Kuettner told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> 3.184...
>> On Thu 27 Dec 2007 10:43:10a, Janet Baraclough told us...
>>
>>> The message >
>>> from "Michael Kuettner" > contains these words:

>>> It's not the blossom. Mace is a lacy layer covering the nutmeg ,

both
>>> are contained within an outer layer.
>>>
>>> see a pic of how they fit together at
>>>
>>> http://www.picturescolourlibrary.co....go/2166366.jpg
>>>
>>> Janet
>>>

>> Yes, I knew that, but apparently Michael did not. I use blades of mace
>> with certain pickles that I make. A couple of times I have bought the
>> nutmeg with the mace still surrounding it.
>>

> Since I don't know the English name of the thingy covering the seed
> (the Arillus), I just called it blossom.
> What's the English word for Arillus ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

Michael, I was forgetting that English is not your native language. I
apologize. I don't think there is really one English word that is the
equivalent. Here is a definitiona;

n.) A exterior covering, forming a false coat or appendage to a seed, as
the loose, transparent bag inclosing the seed or the white water lily. The
mace of the nutmeg is also an aril.

Arillus: words in the definition
A, Also, An, Appendage, Aril, As, Bag, Coat, Covering, Exterior, False,
Forming, Inclosing, Is, Lily, Loose, Mace, Nutmeg, Of, Or, Seed, The, To,
Transparent, Water, White,

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/27(XXVII)/07(MMVII)