Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 03:25:14p, Julie Bove meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>>I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed
>>and
>> mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
>> specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.
>>
>> What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
>> flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
>> stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.
>>
>> Anybody?

> I don't think I've ever used mace, but I don't like the flavor of nutmeg
> very much. I hadn't really noticed before until my dad brought home
> this apple pie from work. It was from a Christmas buffet. He said the
> woman made a ton of them and nobody was eating them. Apparently she had
> an accident with the nutmeg when adding it to the filling. Why she
> didn't try to take some of it out was beyond me. The filling was a dark
> brown and I recall it making my tongue go numb. Now if I have a recipe
> that calls for it, I can only put a pinch of it in. Any more than that
> is overkill to me.

Oh, that would be extreme. Some spices are quite powerful in large
amounts. I recall getting a serious burn in my mouth when a school nurse
swabbed it heavily with oil of clove. I can only cloves in very tiny
amounts now.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007