Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 01:26:22p, Joseph Littleshoes meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 11:18:43a, Joseph Littleshoes meant to
>> say...

>>>Mace is "spicier" has more bite or kick imo, but i like it so much i
>>>use it as a form of incense, i think i like the aroma better than the
>>>flavour.

>> Yes, that's it. It is "spicier". How do you use it as incense, over a
>> small piece of charcoal?

> No! if necessary, if i am out of the mace incense sold at a local store
> i will gently heat without carbonizing the powdered mace. But the
> incense i buy, while definitely, top note, mace, has under notes of
> cinnamon and i think, bayberry, possibly some clove also.

Umm... The incense you buy sounds really nice. I don't think I've ever
see one with that particular combination.

>>>Nutmeg on the other hand seems mild and "smooth" not spicy to me.

>> It does have a nice aromatic quality to it, though. I especially like
>> it in custards.

> Im more likely to use nutmeg in cooking than i am mace, i make a very
> nice garlic cream sauce with just a hint of nutmeg, though i have done
> lamb roasts and stews with mace to good effect. I also like it with
> carrots and cauliflower.

All good choices. I often use nutmeg with pork roast, along with garlic
adn pepper.

> I have had various sweets in which mace was used to good effect, a
> pumpkin pie especially, but some stewed fruit dishes i have had also. I
> have read of people using mace in a chocolate sauce but have never done
> so.

I use both netmeg and mace in my pumpkiin pie, and have used mace with
stewed fruit. I don't think I've ever tasted it in combination with
chocolate.

> Combines well with cumin IMO and often goes in my sage and onion bread
> stuffing.

That would be interesting. I wonder how that would work with my cornbread
dressing, which is predominately sage and poultry seasoning flavored, and
onion and celery, of course.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007