Old 25-12-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 12:07:16p, Miche meant to say...

In article 4,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed
and mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Mace is stronger, and to my mind, has sharper edges. Nutmeg is for when
you want delicacy. It makes a good Secret Ingredient for when you want
to drive people nuts guessing what that other flavour is.

Miche

Good point, Miche. I find I use a little bit of nutmeg in a lot of things
that I probably wouldn't use mace in.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007