Old 25-12-2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael Kuettner Michael Kuettner is offline

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

"Wayne Boatwright" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
3.184...
I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed and
mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Anybody?

Nutmeg is the nut; mace is the blossom.
It's no surprise that they taste vastly different.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner