Old 25-12-2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Miche[_3_] Miche[_3_] is offline

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

In article ,
ChattyCathy wrote:

Miche wrote:
In article 4,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed
and
mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Mace is stronger, and to my mind, has sharper edges. Nutmeg is for when
you want delicacy. It makes a good Secret Ingredient for when you want
to drive people nuts guessing what that other flavour is.

Drive people "nuts". Good pun Miche

Goodness! That was totally unintentional. No, really!

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases