Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] is offline

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 11:18:43a, Joseph Littleshoes meant to say...
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>>I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed
>>>and mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
>>>specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.
>>>
>>>What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
>>>flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
>>>stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.
>>>
>>>Anybody?
>>>

>>Mace is "spicier" has more bite or kick imo, but i like it so much i use
>>it as a form of incense, i think i like the aroma better than the
>>flavour.

> Yes, that's it. It is "spicier". How do you use it as incense, over a
> small piece of charcoal?

No! if necessary, if i am out of the mace incense sold at a local store
i will gently heat without carbonizing the powdered mace. But the
incense i buy, while definitely, top note, mace, has under notes of
cinnamon and i think, bayberry, possibly some clove also.

>>Nutmeg on the other hand seems mild and "smooth" not spicy to me.

> It does have a nice aromatic quality to it, though. I especially like it
> in custards.

Im more likely to use nutmeg in cooking than i am mace, i make a very
nice garlic cream sauce with just a hint of nutmeg, though i have done
lamb roasts and stews with mace to good effect. I also like it with
carrots and cauliflower.

I have had various sweets in which mace was used to good effect, a
pumpkin pie especially, but some stewed fruit dishes i have had also. I
have read of people using mace in a chocolate sauce but have never done so.

Combines well with cumin IMO and often goes in my sage and onion bread
stuffing.
--
JL