Old 25-12-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
ChattyCathy ChattyCathy is offline

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Miche wrote:
In article 4,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed and
mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Mace is stronger, and to my mind, has sharper edges. Nutmeg is for when
you want delicacy. It makes a good Secret Ingredient for when you want
to drive people nuts guessing what that other flavour is.

Drive people "nuts". Good pun Miche
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible