Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 11:18:43a, Joseph Littleshoes meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed
>> and mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
>> specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.
>>
>> What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
>> flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
>> stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.
>>
>> Anybody?
>>

> Mace is "spicier" has more bite or kick imo, but i like it so much i use
> it as a form of incense, i think i like the aroma better than the
> flavour.

Yes, that's it. It is "spicier". How do you use it as incense, over a
small piece of charcoal?

> Nutmeg on the other hand seems mild and "smooth" not spicy to me.

It does have a nice aromatic quality to it, though. I especially like it
in custards.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I made it foolproof. They are making