Old 25-12-2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 10:53:59a, kilikini meant to say...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the
seed and mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in
recipes as specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had
run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference
in flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Anybody?

I think mace has a stronger flavor, too, which is why I wonder when I'm
watching a cooking show and the host grates fresh nutmeg into the dish,
the outside hasn't already been grated. Mace, to me, is almost more of
a 5-spice/ginger type thing. Does that make sense?

kili

Hmm... I never thought about it having a multi-dimensional flavor. I'll
have to taste test that!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007