Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook[_1_] Paul M. Cook[_1_] is offline

Default Slow roasting a rib of beef (well done)

"pulck" > wrote in message
> I'd like to try slow roasting a rib of beef for Christmas day, but the
> in-laws will not eat anything bloody. Is there a sure-fire way of
> getting this right? And is this the best way to do a roast beef if it
> needs to be well done.
>
> (BTW I'm in the UK, so centigrade temperatures would be preferable to
> fahrenheit.)
>
> Thanks.

Cook till the internal temp reaches 120, that will give you very well done
side and a medium rare (more medium than rare) middle. If the sides are not
done enough when cut, simply put them back in the oven for a few minutes.
But frankly anyone who likes meat that well done is missing out on what a
prime rib has to offer. I would cook to 115 internal temperature, then
allow to rest. Remember that the meat will keep on cooking for about 30
minutes so you want it's internal temperature to be about 15 degrees less
than the target temperature. Do not pierce the meat after taking it from
the oven use tongs or your rubber gloved hands. Cover with foil and let
rest. You want the meat juices to pull back into the meat not seep out. If
you like rare meat, pull at 110, then expect to cut the ends and re-cook
them after the resting period.

Cooking times vary. I use the 450 (250C) for 20 minutes then 15 minutes per
pound (sorry, convert to kilo - you have to do something here) at 325F
(165C) for remainder. I make a kosher salt and pepper crust which needs to
be well browned in the oven.

That is the way it is done in restaurants.

Paul