Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Rob Rob is offline

Default Mold on cork

I've had this as a result of a high-humidity problem. Cork exterior
surfaces and at the cork/bottle contact point rim showed some growth
of something. No leakage around the cork was visible.

My problem stemmed from too much humidity. It was the summer, and I'm
lucky enough to have an area that's temperature controlled, but the
way I control it doesn't also give me humidity control. So in the
summer, my wine was being stored in a very cold sauna!

I gave the cork surfaces a light brush with a chlorine solution, then
made sure that I kept the humidity down where I store my wine using
"Damp-rid" (any dampness reducing product would likely work. Haven't
seen the problem come back.

Rob