Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default joy of cooking 1962

Lin wrote on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:11:49 -0800 (PST):

??>> I think the same eggless recipe may be on page 662 of the
??>> 1963 edition. Anyway, it's
??>>
??>> 1/4 cup butter
??>> 1/2 cup sugar
??>> 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
??>> 1 tsp soda
??>> 1/4 tsp cloves
??>> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
??>> 1 tsp ginger
??>> 1/2 tsp salt
??>> 1/4 cup water
??>>
??>> I'm giving the ingredient list so that you can check if it
??>> might be the same recipe. If you want, I can give more
??>> details of the rather long recipe.

L> The recipe in the 1975 edition - Page 712 - is similar. What
L> is different is you have a choice of white or brown sugar
L> and you beat in 1/2 c. dark molasses. Not sure how all the
L> rest of the instructions compare to the 1962 ed., but that
L> is the ingredient list.

Thanks for adding that! My recipe has molasses too and the
choice of white and brown sugar. I missed those while typing in
the ingredients. I am not the world's greatest transcriber :-)
Now you know why I did not type the whole long recipe but I
think the ingredients I did give tend to establish that the
recipes are the same and it was only the amount of flour that
was wanted.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: