Old 16-12-2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Default joy of cooking 1962

On Dec 15, 8:20 pm, "James Silverton replied to honeybunch:

I think the same eggless recipe may be on page 662 of the 1963
edition. Anyway, it's

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water

I'm giving the ingredient list so that you can check if it might
be the same recipe. If you want, I can give more details of the
rather long recipe.

The recipe in the 1975 edition - Page 712 - is similar. What is
different is you have a choice of white or brown sugar and you beat in
1/2 c. dark molasses. Not sure how all the rest of the instructions
compare to the 1962 ed., but that is the ingredient list.

Coincidentally, I am waiting for delivery of a copy (in very good to
excellent shape I am told) of the 1962 ed. of JOC. It is a gift for
someone that lost his in a house fire. If I can get it to him by
Christmas, that would be sweet .... It's a surprise.

--Lin