Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 1991 Ridge Montebello, 1982 Gruaud Larose, etc

Boy's night out last night at a local steakhouse where we often meet
since they allow us no corkage.
Started with Jean Lallemant NV Brut-This is a wine that I distribute
offered from Terry Theise. Really crisp and apple like with toasty
buttery brioche on the finish . So good that one could just gulp it
and it won't brak the bank at $35.00

Next a flight of red bruisers to go with bone in filets.
1991 Ridge Montebello-Still dark reddish purple with no sign of age.
Fresh red berry nose with typical california dusty aromas. Plenty of
red plum and black cherry on the palate. Nice firm tannic structure
on a long smooth finish. Years to go before peaking. A-

1982 Gruaud Larose-strikingly dark purple with a clearing at the rim.
HUge nose of mint, leather, cedar and cassis. Layers of complex
flavors with black fruits then red fruits then old bordeaux cedar and
tobacco. Really smooth tannins on a super long finish. A+

1997 Thackrey Orion-I've had this wine many times and it's probably at
or slightly past it's peak. Strong peach and white pepper notes on
the nose. Meaty on the palate with briary red berries and red currant
notes. Finish of vanilla and spice. B++

2002 Arietta Variation One-THis is a Merlot Syrah blend made by John
Kongsgaard in his typical big but focused style. Beautiful fruit
notes on a lush almost creamy nose brimming with vanilla. Plenty of
cassis and milk chocolate on the palate with gravelly mineral on the
finish. Very smooth plush tannins. B++