Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] is offline

Default Electric Knife sharpener recommendations

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 05:00:12 GMT, Sqwertz >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 03:33:40 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt wrote:
>
>> A three buck whetstone will do as good as job as your expensive
>> electric grinder.

>Somebody was bound to say it. Somebody always does.

I don't see what's so difficult about using a steel, either. It
doesn't take much to learn how to use one, they don't take up much
room and, done properly, are kinder to your knives. In fact, I found a
website a while back that is about the best overview of care and
maintenance of kitchen knives I've ever seen. It also gives a great
discussion on knives in general and gives a good description and
lesson on steeling (and the fact that you're not *sharpening* your
knife, you're straightening the blade - good illustrations, too):

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036

Please have a look - it's worth the time. It also tells you that not
everything you hear/see on Food Network is gospel :-)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"