Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Organic milk sold at ...... not organic at all

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:17:40 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>> The Bush USDA gave Aurora the green light to label non-organic
>> milk as organic. Everybody in the chain, at least after a
>> certain point in time, should have known it wasn't organic
>> and should be held liable.

>I'm not sure I follow that. How were the retailers supposed to
>know it wasn't organic?

Investigative reporting revealed the alleged problems in January, 2005.
Big retailers such as those named in the litigation have the
ability to follow up and investigate on their own, when reports
such as these surface. So, I would say if they were still selling
the product as organic as of mid-2005, then assuming the allegations
hold, they are party to the liability.

It is of course up to the courts to determine the facts. Things
may not have gone down the way it's been reported in the press.

Steve