Posted to rec.food.cooking
David Scheidt David Scheidt is offline

Default Electric Knife sharpener recommendations

jay > wrote:
:On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:14:10 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt wrote:

:> Sqwertz > wrote:
:> :On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 03:33:40 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt wrote:
:>
:>:> A three buck whetstone will do as good as job as your expensive
:>:> electric grinder.
:>
:>:Somebody was bound to say it. Somebody always does.
:>
:> Well, it's going to continue to be true. It does require some skill,
:> so I can see why you'd object to the method, though.

:I don't like grinder sharpeners. I have a couple of various grit Kasumi
:stones ( #3000,#8000, #1000,#240 ) that are made in Seki-Japan. They
:remove very little metal and you can get a blade razor sharp with 'em.
:They cost as much or more than a electric grinder style sharpener. Most
:here don't have time for this..cause they are here. lol

I don't like grinders for sharpening, except on a damaged blade that
needs to be reshaped. They remove much too much metal, don't let you
control the angles well enough.

An 8000 grit waterstone is way overkill for kitchen knives. A 240/1000
is good enough for most people's kitchen knives, and can take a knife
from dull to shaving sharp in two minutes. If you sharpen the knife
before it's really dull, it's a mater of a few strokes on the fine
side.