Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Bluesea[_2_] Bluesea[_2_] is offline

Default How can you tell if tea has caffeine?

> wrote in message
> On Dec 7, 2:07 pm, wrote:
> > How can you determine if tea contains caffeine if the label does not
> > indicate either way? Are there any ingredients that I can look for to
> > determine this?
> >
> > Thanks.

> If it's a green, black, oolong, white (or any other kinds of TEA
> varieties), it will have caffeine. If it does not have caffeine, it
> will say so explicitly on the label (and even then, there are probably
> traces of caffeine)
>
> If it's an herbal or rooibos blend,...

It isn't tea because it didn't come from the Camilla sinensis "tea" plant.

> ...then it is caffeine free.

Unless it's Yerba mate which has caffeine.

> Remember that you can easily "decaffeinate" any tea by steeping it for
> a minute...

After 30 seconds, you lose too much flavor for practically no additional
benefit.

The last time I mentioned DIY decaffeination, I got jumped for propagating a
myth. I still don't understand it because, not only is it fairly common
knowledge by now among tea people, the first time I heard about it, I was
told the name of the man who discovered it and that there was a website.
Since that was about 10 years ago, there's no way I can remember the details
of who discovered it or the URL and the man who told me about it, a former
instructor, has since died so I can't go back to him and ask.

So, now I'm in the position of wondering if the myth about DIY
decaffeinating is a myth since apparently anybody can put up a webpage with
the scientific basis for whatever's being touted.

"I know it's true; I read it on the Internet!"

--
~~Bluesea~~