Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 08:08:19 -0800 (PST), "*GED*"
> wrote:

>When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
>good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
>happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
>down,when I cut
>into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
>the Cake.I have tried everything I know to prevent this
>happening.Although the Cakes turn out very good,and my Family eat them
>almost straight away,and they always compliment me on my Baking.This
>is "One" thing I would like to solve.I was Head Cook in a Old Peoples
>Home before I retired 12 years ago,I have thought about it might be
>just me losing my touch,but the more I think about it the more
>convinced I am that I must just be forgetting to do some rudimentary
>preparation would
>be most grateful for some of your suggestions to remedy this
>fault.Thank you in anticipation.
>
>I must admit this has sometimes kept me awake at night.I just can not
>think of the solution????.

1. How thick is the batter?
2. Did you toss the fruit in flour first?
3. When all else fails, sprinkle the fruit on top of the cake. It
will sink, but not as far and distribute fairly evenly.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first