Posted to alt.food.wine
godzilla godzilla is offline

Default TN: Chandon Classic Brut

Mark Lipton wrote:

> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>
>> I have found all but the upper end California Chandons to be lacking in
>> taste. You have to go to Etoile to get much and that is as expensive as
>> any of the smaller champagne houses in France.

> I've had some good Chandons in the distant past, but I have to agree
> that in the last decade I've been seriously underwhelmed by their
> offerings. For a fruitier, more Californiaesque sparkler, Mumm Cuvée
> Napa; for more refined offerings, I'll take Roederer Estate and Gruet.
> Scharmsberg also makes some fine wines, but the prices don't have me
> beating a path to their door.
>
> Mark Lipton

Looking over my notes, I also favored Roederer Estate, but somehow never
could understand all of the hype given to Schramsberg. Not that many years
ago, I bought Roederer Estate on sale for $13.99. Yesterday, I got an
e-mail from the liquor store that rents space from Costco (but is not
connected with them) offering Roederer Estate for $38.99!

Thanks, but no thanks. ;-( This year, I shall try to locate some more Gruet
and mix some with a 6 bottle 10% small case discount at the local
supermarket chain in San Antonio.

Godzilla