Rich and Patti

Default Cinco de Mayo

Mark Preston wrote:
> Why on earth do American celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
>
> In speaking with many Mexican friends, they all say that it's about
> their equivalent of Labor Day. If we wanted to have a party about
> Mexico, here in the US, shouldn't we celebrate "El Grito", the 16th of
> September? Mexican Independence Day?
>
> Simplistic thinking says: "it started by Corona Beer's
> advertisements". Yet, I'm sure there's more to it than that.
>
> The obvious that it's a good day to have a beer or margarita is also,
> not much help. Well . . . it never hurts to have a beer . . . but
> that's another story.
>
> Anybody out there know anything?

There is some historical opinion that the Battle of Puebla, May 5,
1862, was historically important to the United States as well as
Mexico. The French, Spanish and English had come to Mexico supposedly
to collect debts. The Spanish and English quickly did so and left.
The French had more ambitious plans...annex Mexico, support and supply
the Confederate Army to ultimately divide and destroy the United
States. The underestimated Mexicans kept the French pre-occupied long
enough for the Union Army to defeat the Confederates and preserve the
Union. With the Civil War over, the U.S. sent its support south with
supplies, arms and men to help the Mexicans defeat the French and win
their independence. I'd say it's appropriate for U.S. citizens to
offer a toast to the Mexican victory at Puebla and join the Mexicans
in their celebration.

Rich