Jim Lane

Default Cinco de Mayo

Mark Preston wrote:
> Why on earth do American celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
>
> In speaking with many Mexican friends, they all say that it's about
> their equivalent of Labor Day. If we wanted to have a party about
> Mexico, here in the US, shouldn't we celebrate "El Grito", the 16th of
> September? Mexican Independence Day?
>
> Simplistic thinking says: "it started by Corona Beer's
> advertisements". Yet, I'm sure there's more to it than that.
>
> The obvious that it's a good day to have a beer or margarita is also,
> not much help. Well . . . it never hurts to have a beer . . . but
> that's another story.
>
> Anybody out there know anything?

Best way to think about it might be Armed Forces Day. It is military in
nature and was the first (?) time the Mexican Army beat the French at
the battle of Puebla.

It has served as a good break between Easter and the semester end and is
just another reason for gringos to party.

Mexican Independence Day is September 16.

jim