Irma

Default Cinco de Mayo

On 26 Apr 2004 16:24:57 -0700, (Mark Preston)
wrote:

>Why on earth do American celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
>
>In speaking with many Mexican friends, they all say that it's about
>their equivalent of Labor Day. If we wanted to have a party about
>Mexico, here in the US, shouldn't we celebrate "El Grito", the 16th of
>September? Mexican Independence Day?
>
>Simplistic thinking says: "it started by Corona Beer's
>advertisements". Yet, I'm sure there's more to it than that.
>
>The obvious that it's a good day to have a beer or margarita is also,
>not much help. Well . . . it never hurts to have a beer . . . but
>that's another story.
>
>Anybody out there know anything?

Hi Mark,

Well, probably those Mexican friends of yours were no so good in
Mexican History. It is not Mexican Independence Day.

It is a day that "La Batalla de Puebla" is celebrated.

Here you have a link to read about it...

http://www.mexonline.com/cinco.htm

Irma.