The Ranger

Default The "A" word

Jim Lane > posted in message
> In the past we've had heated discussions about authenticity
> fo cuisine, particularly related to Mexican foof (natch, it is
> a Mexican cooking group).
>
> Here's an Italian weighing in on the subject:
>
> There are only two questions to ask about food. Is it good?
> And is it authentic?
>
> We are open to new ideas, but not if it means destroying our
> history.
>
> And food is history.
>
> Giuliano Bugialli

Main Entry: au·then·tic
Pronunciation: &-'then-tik, o-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English autentik, from Middle French autentique, from Late
Latin authenticus, from Greek authentikos, from authentEs perpetrator,
master, from aut- + -hentEs (akin to Greek anyein to accomplish, Sanskrit
sanoti he gains)
1 obsolete : AUTHORITATIVE
2 a : worthy of acceptance or belief as conforming to or based on fact
<paints an authentic picture of our society> b : conforming to an original
so as to reproduce essential features <an authentic reproduction of a
colonial farmhouse> c : made or done the same way as an original <authentic
Mexican fare>
3 : not false or imitation : REAL, ACTUAL <based on authentic documents> <an
authentic cockney accent>
4 a of a church mode : ranging upward from the keynote -- compare PLAGAL 1 b
of a cadence : progressing from the dominant chord to the tonic -- compare
PLAGAL 2
5 : true to one's own personality, spirit, or character
- au·then·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb
- au·then·tic·i·ty /"o-"then-'ti-s&-tE, -th&n-/ noun

Pasta, tomatoes, and many spices used in many "authentic" dishes being
trumpeted loudly nowadays were not always part of the Italian diet (prior to
their stealing them from other cultures and lands). How does Mr. Bugialli
justify the use of these items and dishes? Does authenticity have to be a
certain age before traditionalists will accept it? Do the cultures that
provided these dishes and foods have to be completely subverted and/or
destroyed before the superceding culture accepts them as their own?

"Authenticity" is an albatross, an achor, hanging about a recipe's neck,
always dragging at it, attempting to push it below the surface before the
dogmatic-bound accept it.

The Ranger